Thursday, February 13, 2014

Who Will Be My Valentine?


I know I am not alone when I say I HATE Valentine's Day!   

Most of us associate Valentine's Day with having a significant other.   Then you get bombarded with advertisements for "Every Kiss Begins with Kay's" that show two starry eyed lovers who are obviously sooooo in love! You see this couple or that couple getting married or engaged. You walk down the aisle of the market to see beautiful boxes of chocolates, roses, and think what is wrong with ME?  And you think will I ever have a Valentine?  Who will be my Valentine?  

I find myself in a situation where I will be spending Valentine's evening alone.  Not even my children will be here with me, one has a long awaited play date and the other is going on a youth retreat.   So the selfish part of me thinks NO!  I want them here with me, we can have a game night, have heart shaped meatloaf, make Valentine's crafts, eat junk food.  The selfish part of me says "WHO WILL ME MY VALENTINE?"!  

I look back at those other painfully lonely evenings I've spent while going through my divorce.  Even though those nights were lonely, they proved to be reflective and some what strengthening to me.  

So THIS Valentine's Day, I think I will be my own valentine.  Maybe I'll buy myself some chocolate, or some flowers, or light some candles and enjoy my own time.  Or maybe I will enjoy some retail therapy, within reason of course!  LOL!!  

Whatever I decide to do tomorrow evening on  Valentine's day, I will use it as an opportunity to remember to love myself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment