Thursday, April 3, 2014

Exhale and Forgive!

Forgiveness is the act of letting go of the evil, hurt, pain, and disappointment caused by an offense done.   It involves a change in your feelings and attitude regarding the offense.

Sometimes, I think one of the most difficult things in life to do is forgive.  But one of the most difficult things was and is forgiving myself for "failing" my marriage, my children, my church. Although I realize that I am not the one who really failed.  That is still a hard concept for me to wrap my brain around sometimes.
The other day I had a discussion with some of my family members and it hit me that I was still holding onto some of that unforgiving towards myself.  I had a long cry.  It was a healing cry.  I exhaled and breathed and felt like..phew, I can do this..keep moving forward!

I once did an exercise with a group of people regarding stress and what if feels like letting go.   You clench your fists up as tight as you can. Notice that every muscle in your body tenses to some degree...even the muscles in your face.  I had them do that and hold it for 10 seconds.  Then I had them release their fists.  
While they were releasing the clenched fists they were also exhaling.  I thought...THIS is also the same of forgiveness.....

Forgiveness is like that exhale.  When we are holding on to the anger, bitterness and pain that comes from an offense done to us is makes our whole body tense up.   We are that ball of stress.  But when we can forgive...we can exhale!     

No comments:

Post a Comment