Monday, April 7, 2014

Since When Did Running Late Become "OK"?

OKAY!  A rant on lateness! 

I went to an event recently where the guest of honor was 35 minutes late. And the reason?  Well, there really didn't seem to be one.   She was "sorry for running late".   I was with the hostess who happened to be the mother of the guest of honor.   She tried to call to make sure she was okay, no answer...  Needless to say the hostess seemed quite upset and mortified.  I felt badly for her.   She had worked tirelessly to make sure this event went off without a hitch.   The place, the food, the atmosphere was perfect.....except I wonder if the guest of honor even noticed?  Did she notice what her mother had done for her?   ALL that she had done for her?  

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I was raised to be on time....ON TIME for something you've been invited to let alone the guest of honor of!  

I find it rude, inconsiderate, and just plain selfish.  It's not "OK".  

And it not only happens in personal relationships but I see it happening in business as well.  Someone calls a meeting at 9 and people straggle in anywhere from 9 to 9:20.....all with their coffee in hand and unwrapping their bagel breakfast sandwiches.   

Everyone has busy lives, that's a given but to use that as an excuse is just saying that you don't think the other's time is as important as yours.  And technology is wonderful, but to text or email that you are going to be late means...YOU ARE STILL LATE!   

You are rude, you are inconsiderate!  Is your time more important than mine?

And I am not talking about the occasionally lateness that we have all experienced, there are times where it is inevitable.  Things come up and stuff happens.   I'm talking about the ones who are routinely late.  Bottom line:  You are saying that your time is more valuable than the rest of ours.   

But then again...perhaps its just me!  Maybe I am just old fashioned!  But whatever you call it....in my book to be ROUTINELY LATE IS NOT "OK"!!  

Rant over!  Have a good evening!  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment